amazon

Rustic Salmon Tart

Isn't it great that you can just call anything that doesn't look perfect, Rustic, and make it sound great? This is actually more of a galette which is not supposed to look perfect, it is supposed to look rustic and I think this tart achieves that charm. For some reason, I felt so British making this and I have no idea why- maybe the English peas? Maybe because I kept thinking about "Bangers and Mash" while I was making this- a British dish that has absolutely nothing to do with this except that it also has potatoes. Who knows- either way this was my concoction from leftover mashed potatoes and that lone salmon fillet sitting in my freezer.
Don't you hate when you have something sitting in your freezer and it's not enough for a meal so you just look at it curiously every time you open the freezer but then leave it there- ad infinitum? Maybe it's just me. But it happens to me a lot. So this time I refused to close the freezer door until I found a use for lonely Sammy and this is what I came up with. I used a buttery crust that I often use for dairy galettes and I think having a good crust is essential here. You could use puff pastry instead but if so I would recommend using all butter puff pastry. My husband declared that this tasted like salmon pot pie and I guess that is sort of what it is- an upside down salmon pot pie-and who doesn't love a good pot pie! But if that description doesn't do it for you, stick to calling it a salmon galette and enjoy!


For the dough:
1 1/4 cup flour (plus more for rolling)
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter, cold, cubed
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup ice water

Mix the flour and salt together and cut the butter in with a pastry blender or your hands. Mix the lemon juice, sour cream and water in a bowl and add it to the flour mixture. Refrigerate for 1/2 an hour (the dough will be sticky). Remove from refrigerate and add enough flour to help knead the dough. Roll the dough into a circle (it doesn't have to perfect and transfer it to a parchment lined baking sheet.

2 potatoes, boiled and mashed but leave it chunky
1/4 cup frozen peas
1 small onion
1 cloves garlic
2 Tbl oil
1/3 cup sour cream
1 large fillet or 2 small fillets of salmon, poached or baked and then flaked- or 2 small cans salmon
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 egg
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 beaten egg
sesame seeds

Saute the onion and garlic in the oil. Add to the potatoes and add the rest of the ingredients besides for the beaten egg and sesame seeds and mix well. Pile the mixture into the middle of the dough, spread it out, leaving a couple of inches as a border. Fold the dough over the mixture to form a crust and brush the crust with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until the crust is golden.


Comments

  1. Sounds delicious ! Definitely something different to serve company as part of a milchig meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this for dinner last night and it was DELICIOUS. I just added salt and pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the time, I was attracted to my future husband for his cool composure under pressure and his decisiveness. He said he was initially attracted to me for my warmth and vulnerability. Describing those same characteristics at our tenth wedding anniversary, I think I called him “cold and controlling” and he called me “neurotic.” At our divorce, we agreed that he had enough of my vulnerability and I’d had enough of his decisiveness to last a lifetime.
    Jogos grátis
    jogos 30 gratis
    io games online

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts