amazon

Apple and Honey Chicken


Every year I try to come up with one new recipe for Rosh Hashanah. Some times it's a dessert like last years Honey Almond Tahini Cookies but more often than not it ends up being a main dish like my Pomegranate chicken or Pom- Honey London Broil. This year I wanted a new chicken and came up with this after seeing an amazing variety of hard apple ciders in the store. Apples and honey are a classic Rosh Hashanah combination and cooking apples and shallots in a hard apple cider reduction and pouring it over chicken is just delicious. The flavors here are not complex, they are light and simple but together they make the perfect Rosh Hashanah dish. Enjoy!


For the chicken rub:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp salt
6 chicken bottoms, cut in half
-----------------------
2 Tablespoons olive oil
8 large shallots, peeled and quartered
juice of 1/2 lemon
4 large granny smith apples, washed and cut into 8th's
1 cup hard apple cider (available in most supermarkets in Israel and in any liquor/beer store in America)
salt and pepper
1/4 cup honey
Pomegranate seeds, optional for garnish

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees/ Pat the chicken dry and mix together the oil and seasonings. Rub the seasonings all over the chicken and place on a sheet pan. In the meantime, heat up the 2 tablespoons of oil in a saute pan over medium heat and add the shallots Saute for 3-4 minutes until just starting to get translucent and then add the apples with the juice of half a lemon. Season with salt and pepper and saute the apples and shallots together for another 3-4 minutes until the apples are just barely softening. Add the hard apple cider, raise the heat and let the apples and shallots cook together until the liquid reduces about 25%. Pour the entire mixture evenly over the chicken and then drizzle the 1/4 cup of honey over it all. Place in the oven and roast for an hour and a half. (Some people like their chicken just cooked which takes about 45 minutes but I personally prefer my chicken cooked for longer). If your chicken is starting to brown too quickly, loosely place a piece of foil on it. Serve by placing the chicken on a platter and spooning the apples and shallots and sauce all over. Garnish with Pomegranate seeds.





Comments

  1. I will make 1 batch with chicken. Just debating salmon for those that do not eat chicken? Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. salmon takes much quicker to cook so you wouldn't get the same use out of the apple mixture that you get when it cooks with the chicken for an hour and a half. Perhaps if you cooked the apple mixture in the pan longer until reduced and then put it on the salmon it could work.

      Delete
  2. Just an fyi for you next time just put them in the oven! I dont fry anything anymore everything that is supposed to be fried gets baked and I actually like it better and its so much healthier for you...Just thought I would share that tip with you.....
    apps best free e-mail with love
    e-mail with love online 2018
    koi Nhật

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a fancy on your posts.Your writings supply information and knowledge I need.They have lots of knowledge and tips. I hope you can upload more posts. I want to thank you for sharing.
    currency converter box online currency-converter-box-free-online

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a fancy on your posts.Your writings supply information and knowledge I need.They have lots of knowledge and tips. I hope you can upload more posts. I want to thank you for sharing.
    Product discount master

    Discount master by autoketing

    ReplyDelete
  5. . thanks for sharing the such insinuation subsequent to us to gate this..
    sales pop master sales pop by autoketing app

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that I'm into your pieces of writing. I wait for your posts every week. I learn many new interesting things from the articles. The information is essential for me. I want to thank you for sharing.
    sales pop master free
    pop price guide app
    koi Nhật

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must say i benefit from the article. Thanks Again. Fantastic. Loved just of one's article post. Keep writing
    currency converter box free. , currency converter box app , autoketing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the post.. parents are worlds best person in each lives of individual..they need or must succeed to sustain needs of the family
    Discount master 2018, Discount master app 2018, autoketing

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really glad I’ve found this info. Today bloggers publish just about gossip and internet stuff and this is really frustrating
    shipping bar app , Free shipping bar APP, autoketing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your articles are very useful. I really like them. I'm thankful if you can upload more posts later. I wish you best things in life.
    Tomb Runner free game Mommy Elsa Baby Caring online game Ride The Bus Simulator funny game

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts