amazon

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Balsamic Maple Chicken

Oh.
My.
G-d.
This chicken is the BEST chicken I have EVER made- maybe even good enough to get me a publishing deal!You must try it immediately! To demonstrate how awesome it is I have compiled some comments from taste testers:
"Wow- you hit this out of the park!" (guess who it was who used the baseball reference)
"Is this chicken or is this heaven?"
"Give me moreeeeeeeeee"
"Mmmmm bnaokjhu akjdou" ( couldn't understand anything but the mmmm due to overstuffed mouth, or maybe my taste tester recently learned Icelandic, not sure)
I knew this chicken was a home run (yes, I am being influenced by the baseball fanatic I live with) when I was still eating it on Wednesday and loving it. I usually can't stand leftover chicken but this tasted like it was fresh, I think it even got better as time passed!
Get the point?Now go make it!

This idea behind this chicken was to combine what I put in my favorite salad dressing ie: balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, dijon mustard (among other things) and one of my favorite chicken dishes which is 40 clove of garlic chicken which has garlic, rosemary and balsamic vinegar. I let the chicken marinate for 3 hours and the sauce really permeated into every part of the chicken. I think the rosemary is necessary but it is not too dominant in the sauce so if you don't like rosemary I think it is still worthwhile to use it.

1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup real maple syrup
1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 heaping Tablespoon dijon mustard
big pinch of dried rosemary
1/2 cup soy sauce
12 cloves of garlic, pressed in a garlic press
Maple syrup or granulated brown sugar
Chicken ( I used this amount of sauce on 8 bottoms, skin on)

Put all the ingredients in a sauce pan and bring it to a simmer just to combine everything. Put aside 1/3 a cup of the mixture for basting later on. Marinate the chicken in the mixture for about 3 hours, turning occasionally (I wouldn't marinate overnight because the vinegar is strong and can start to cook the chicken). Cook at 350 covered for at 11/2-2 hours. Uncover and baste with the rest of the sauce and drizzle with some maple syrup or sprinkle with brown sugar and cook for another 1/2 hour or so. Serve, and prepare for Icelandic comments of your own.

And here it is in all its glory:


This picture has been approved by all chickens worldwide who are willing to be eaten if made this way.


15 comments:

  1. Looks scrumptious !! Can't wait to get an oven so that I can make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound/look good! I think I'll try it on my guests this shabbat. Normally I wouldn't experiment with new guests, but I trust you that much! I also have all those ingredients at home and the recipe sounds simple enough. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. where do I have to apply to become a taste tester?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faye, this chicken looks and sounds great. We will definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you think joel and rose would like it? i may just etst it out for friday night

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would gobble that bird up - AND I'M A VEGETARIAN! Keep up the spectacular blogging please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I was making shabbos this week I would totally make it- next shabbos will have to do! love the blog Fagie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chicken got rave reviews. I made what I thought was an INSANE amount and there is only 1 piece left! I also made your carrot salad. Just got off of work now and am considering eating the chicken before going to sleep. It's just that good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can attest to the opening statement! This really is an Oh mY G-d chicken! I even aded some sliced sweet potatoes to cook with the chicken, it was super scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was one of the guests at Shoshi's house last year where this amazing chicken was DEVOURED!

    Do you think that this recipe might work on a roast?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum!!! What would you serve along side?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would you kindly clarify an ingredient for me. You post the recipe as "Chicken ( I used this amount of sauce on 8 bottoms, skin on)"....How many chickens is this recipe for AND you only use chicken bottoms, in which case, what comprises a chicken bottom? Thank you very much in advance, i cant wait to try out this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. FAL - a bottom consists of a leg and thigh together and this makes enough for 8 of those- you could use this recipe on a whole chicken cut up as well, I just prefer to make it with bottoms.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My chicken didn't get the golden brown color like in the picture... did you broil it afterward?

    ReplyDelete