amazon

Asian Glazed Meatloaf

Up until I made this, there was absolutely nothing about meatloaf that appealed to me. I mean, just the sound off it is off-putting- meat in a loaf? a loaf of meat? There is just no way to make it sound better. Now, I know that meatloaf is supposed to be the ultimate comfort food, served with mashed potatoes and gravy, but I just never really had it growing up so it's been hard to jump on the loafed meat bandwagon. Until now.
I had some chopped meat left over and having already made meatballs (even that sounds better than meat loaf- balls of meat? meat in a ball? yum!) I tried to come up with something creative. Why my mind kept coming back to meatloaf I don't know but I certainly wasn't going to make the plain old kind so this is what I came up with. It's a take on traditional meatloaf but with Asian flavors and it is AMAZING. I literally could not stop eating it and my husband was 1)shocked because I never eat meatloaf 2)astonished by the rate in which I was shoveling it in 3)mad because that left less for him. I beg you to try this even if you hate meatloaf because it is just that good.


1 pound good quality chopped meat
1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 large garlic clove, grated
1 tsp sesame oil
2 Tbl chopped scallion
2 eggs
1/4-1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
4 Tbl ketchup
2 Tbl Hoisin sauce ( an amazing ingredient!)


For the glaze:
8 Tbl ketchup
6 Tbl Hoisin sauce
3 Tbl Brown sugar


Mix all of the above in a bowl but do not over mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pat it into a loaf pan. Mix the ingredients for the glaze and spread over the loaf reserving a few tablespoons . Bake at 350 for about an hour. Pour grease out of the pan, add the rest of the glaze and bake for another 8 minutes.



Eating the screen can be harmful to your health.

Comments

  1. wow, my mom used to force us to eat meatloaf but it never looked this good - YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts