amazon

Red Wine Sangria

I know, I know it has been a while. But my usual excuse is still valid. I have been swamped with catering. And while that is a great thing and I am not complaining, I have not had a minute to do anything including writing up blog posts. It is times like these that I could use a large glass of Sangria, one of my favorite cocktails, so this posting is actually a little selfish. Sangria is a fruity wine based cocktail from Spain that just hits the spot every time. Now, with strawberries in season is the perfect time to make a nice big pitcher which would be a great treat for Shabbat lunch or even as part of dessert because it can practically be considered a fruit salad. Ok, a fruit salad soaked in wine but who's asking? I especially love Sangria in the summer when delicious peaches and nectarines are in season but you can definitely make a mean jug o' Sangria any time of year. Just pick the best fruit of whatever season you are in and you are good to go.
 Sangria in my humble opinion is best made at least a day in advance, even better if you could make it two days in advance, so the flavors of the fruit really have a chance to combine with the wine.  Now that I think of it, with Purim coming up this would make a great addition to any seuda. I promise you, forgetting Haman's name never tasted so good! Enjoy!

1 bottle dry red wine (750ml)
1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup sugar
2 apples, chopped
2 pears, chopped
1 pint of strawberrires, washed, hulled and sliced
2 oranges, sliced
(other fruit you can add in season are peaches, nectarines, plums, pitted cherries, blueberries, raspberries)
1 cup Sprite or Ginger Ale (optional, only if you want a fizzy Sangria)


Pour the wine into a large pitcher. Add the orange juice and sugar and mix well. Before serving taste the Sangria to see if it needs more sweetness. It should be sweet but not overly so. Add the chopped fruit and mix. Refrigerate for at least a day and preferably 2 days. Before serving add the Sprite or Ginger Ale and mix.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts