amazon

Asian Brown Rice Salad

It seems I've been on an Asian food kick on this blog recently, though it is strange because I've actually been on a Mexican food kick in real life. But last week as I was perusing my pantry I found 4 bags of brown rice sitting forlorn and forgotten and I figured it was time to make a dent in my rice supply. Thus this salad was born. The great thing about this salad is that it tastes even better the next day as the flavors absorb into the rice, in fact, I purposely made it the day before. The key is to dress the rice while it is still warm so that the dressing really permeates into rice. You can throw whatever vegetables you have around in here but this is what I had on hand. One thing that was sorely  missing though was water chestnuts-man, I miss those crunchy things and with all the imports to Israel I still have yet to locate a can. But if you are making this salad and have access to the humble but very coveted water chestnut, please throw them in. Otherwise, enjoy this salad as is- it is filling and a great way to jazz up some plain old boring rice.  Have some leftover chicken, beef or tofu? Throw it in and call it a meal! Enjoy!


2 cups brown rice, uncooked
1 red pepper chopped
2 stalks celery, diced
6 scallions, sliced
1 can baby corn, sliced
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1 pint mushrooms, sliced
1 large carrot, shredded
1/2 cup peanuts, roughly chopped
1/2 cup salted cashews,  roughly chopped


Cook the brown rice according to package instructions. While still warm add the dressing and let the salad cool. Add all the vegetables and top with the chopped nuts. Serve room temperature.

For the Dressing:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup canola oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tbl lemon juice
1 Tbl brown sugar

Whisk all together and pour over rice while still warm.






Comments

  1. It looks like confetti ! This is a very attractive side dish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts