amazon

Salmon and Kale Chowder

This week I was faced with an existential dilemma. What do I do with a pan full of leftover salmon? Now, this may seem like a ridiculous question to you but salmon is mucho expensivo and eating leftovers as they were originally cooked is actually painful for me. The only option was to turn the salmon into something so different, so unrecognizable that even I would enjoy it. Salmon and Kale Chowder it was. I know Kale is so trendy (read: overused) right now but I don't care, I love it. I am happily throwing it in practically every dish I make from eggs to pizza and I don't think I'm going to get sick of it anytime soon. The best thing about this chowder is that it is a one pot meal. One pot to wash, no side dishes or extras to make with it (though some crusty bread would be divine here) is reason enough to make this. The taste of the salmon in the chowder is subtle- had I used raw salmon and cooked it in the chowder the salmon taste would be more pronounced, but I liked the muted taste of the salmon in the background. Enjoy!

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, diced
1 zucchini, diced
4 cups vegetable stock
3 medium potatoes, diced
1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
2 cups roughly chopped Kale
1 cup corn (canned or frozen)
1/4 cup frozen peas
2-3 cups chopped cooked salmon fillet
1 cup half and half (in Israel use 15% cream)
1 cup whole milk
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil and butter in a pot. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot and zucchini, season with salt and pepper and saute until the onions are translucent. Add the stock, potatoes and dill and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for about half an hour until the potatoes and veggies are tender. Add in the kale, corn, peas, salmon, half and half, and milk and season well with salt and pepper. Cook at a simmer for another 20 minutes. 




Comments

Popular Posts