amazon

Asparagus and Leek Quiche

Quiche is one of those foods that I never get sick of. You can make endless varieties and there is something about a good buttery crust that is just lip smacking good. I also  love to be playful with my quiche combinations as you can tell by my French Onion Soup Quiche and my Potato Leek Soup Quiche and in this case I spent a lot of time coming up with strange but delicious sounding quiche combinations for my daughter's party. In the end, though, when I went to shop for these interesting ingredients I found bunches and bunches of gorgeous asparagus that was so cheap that it was a crime to leave it in the store, and being deprived all year of asparagus, I bought 8 bunches. So asparagus leek quiche it was. The asparagus taste here is subtle but definitely noticeable and it's just different enough to get people's attention. Enjoy!

1 9 inch pie crust (store bought or home made)
2 leeks, cleaned and white and light green parts sliced
2 Tablespoons butter
1 pound asparagus
3 eggs
1 cup heavy cream or half and half ( in Israel use either the 38% cream or the 15% cooking cream)
3/4 cup sour cream
salt and pepper
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese


Preheat oven to 350.
Heat the butter in a large frying pan and add the leeks. Saute for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften. Remove the woody stems for the bottom of the asparagus and slice them on a diagonal into half inch slices. Add them to the leeks, season the whole mixture with salt and pepper and cook together until the leeks are soft and the asparagus is crisp but tender, about 5-7 minutes.  Place the leek and asparagus mixture on the bottom of the pie crust. In  a bowl whisk together the eggs, cream and sour cream and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the leek mixture and top with the mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes or until the quiche is set.



Comments

Popular Posts