amazon

Low Carb Mashed "Potatoes"

The Pesach vacation blogging break is over! Now it's time to get out of my lazy vacation mode and start cooking. I don't know about you, but those Pesach pounds sure crept up on me this year- but is it really my fault that matzah, cream cheese and jelly is so darn good that it was necessary to eat it 3 times a day? Well, without blaming anyone or anything (the Schmerling's white chocolate and almond bars didn't help the cause either) it's time to shed some of the pounds- so I put myself on a low-carb diet for a week (that's as much as I can do and if I can even make it a week I'll be proud of myself.) First dish up are these mashed "potatoes" which is really mostly mashed cauliflower with a measly potato thrown in but they are so delicious and healthy and really, really almost make you feel like you are eating mashed potatoes. Who wants real mashed potatoes anyway so soon after Pesach, didn't we all eat enough potatoes as it is? So try this low carb version with just enough dairy in it to give it a little richness so you don't feel like you are being deprived and enough bulk to fill you up. Enjoy!

1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into big chunks
3 large cloves of garlic
1 Tbl sour cream (can use low fat)
1 Tbl butter (or smart balance)
1 Tbl cream cheese (can use low fat)
 1/4 cup chopped scallions
salt and pepper to taste

Boil the cauliflower, potato and garlic in a large pot of salted water until the cauliflower and potato are fork tender. Drain VERY well and put the mixture  back in the pot over low heat just for a minute or two to help absorb the rest of the water OR pat the cauliflower dry. Mash or blend (with an immersion blender) the veggies together and while the cauliflower is still warm add in the butter, sour cream and cream cheese. Mix the scallions in by hand. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with more scallions.


Comments

Popular Posts