amazon

Plum Bread

Recently, I have started a new and fattening tradition of making a dairy confection to enjoy with my brewed coffee Shabbat morning. During the week it is drink my coffee and go but on Shabbat I get to slowly savor it and what better way to savor it than with a butter-rich delicious cake. I didn't mean to make this a tradition, but I have found myself whipping things up on Friday even when I barely have the time just in anticipation of Shabbat morning. Three times is a charm and now I have no choice but to continue. This was one of the first cakes I made for the occasion. Please do not be fooled by the some what boring name, Plum Bread- this is more like a heavenly, buttery, plum-y, moist, melt in your mouth, sweet and tart cake that is just baked in a loaf pan and thus resembles bread- but I could hardly fit that all into the title, could I? Trust me, you want to make this and you don't want to wait for Shabbat. If you don't have plums you can substitute any stone fruit but I think the plums add something different and the sweet, tart flavor of them is delightful. Enjoy!

4 large plums, pitted and chopped
1 Tbl flour
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp vamilla extract
2 medium eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup plain yogurt


Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan well. Sprinkle plums with flour, mix and set aside. Beat butter, sugar , vanilla and lemon zest. Beat in eggs. In a seperate bowl sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir dry in to the wet ingredients alternating with the yogurt. Mix until smooth. Stir in plums gently. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center yields moist crumbs.










Comments

Popular Posts