amazon

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Pie

It always feels strange the first couple of times I eat strawberries in the summer. In Israel, strawberries are a winter berry and while everyone in America are eating imported, pale strawberries in January, we are feasting on ripe, plump ruby red berries. It is one of the things I love about the produce in Israel, everything comes to you in season and so the taste of the fruit and vegetables are unparalleled. But, I do have to say, I miss having strawberries in the summer. So I spend a lot of time indulging in strawberries while I am here, mostly just eating them plain. There is nothing you can do to a strawberry to make it better than it is when it is fresh and at the peak of ripeness. So why did I make this pie? Because I found rhubarb in the farmer's market nearby and rhubarb and strawberries are just a beautiful thing together. This pie is simple to throw together especially if you are using a pre-made crust as I did but feel free to make your own as well. And while I was at it I splurged on some vanilla bean Haagen Daz and served it over some warm pie- good eats! Enjoy!


1 9 inch pie crust
2 pints of strawberries, washed and sliced
4 stalks of rhubarb, sliced
zest of one lemon
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
pinch of salt


For the crust:
1 stick butter room temperature
1 1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt


Preheat the oven to 350. In a bowl mix the strawberries, rhubarb, lemon, sugar, flour and salt. Pour the mixture into the pie crust. In a small bowl mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Spread over the filling and bake until golden and the filling is bubbly.



Comments

Popular Posts