amazon

Raspberry- Walnut Rugelach- Dairy

If you were in Rami Levi in the Gush last week you may have seen a crazy woman dancing in the frozen foods aisle. That was me- because I discovered this:

Please note what the red circle says- ALL BUTTER PUFF PASTRY!!!!

After I caught my breath from my exhausting dance, my mind started to dream about how this would change my life and all the things I could make- napoleons, quiches, dairy wellingtons, cheese straws, and more and more and more....But I started simply by making these raspberry walnut rugelach. Unfortunately, since I have moved to Israel,  Rugelach has come to mean a tasteless pareve dough wrapped around blah pareve chocolate filling mass produced and sold in every store around the country which inevitably find themselves on my Shabbat table as a hostess gift when I have students come over. In America, however, Rugelach have a different story to tell. They can be dairy made with cream cheese and butter in the dough and filled with all sorts of tantalizing fillings such as ....RASPBERRY AND WALNUT which are my fave.

This recipe is my quick and easy version. Yes, I know this is only semi-homemade but the taste is so good you wont even realize it.

1 package ALL BUTTER puff pastry
1 jar raspberry jam
Chopped walnuts
sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling
beaten egg


One thing I hate about baking is rolling out dough- Im just not that good at it. Typically for Rugelach you need to roll out the dough into a circle, cut into triangles and roll up. This puff pastry comes as a rectangle so in order to spare myself the rolling I cut the dough in half horizontally and then made triangles from each half. Slather each triangle with the jam and sprinkle on the walnuts and roll up from the widest part down. Lay on a baking sheet (not you, the rugelach, although these are so good you would want to join them) brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar and bake till golden brown.


Fresh out of the oven:


After some make-up:


Next flavor up, nutella with chopped hazelnuts and chocolate!!

Comments

  1. Yay, the Aliyah Revolution has arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand you're trying not to make the typical Israeli rugelach, but I'm SHOCKED, you left out a specific ingredient...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would've done a similar dance, scarring the young children. this is a great product. send some to NY!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts