amazon

Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake

My Blogcation is officially over. I have been itching to get back to the kitchen and try new things and I just couldn't wait any longer and since I have been eating blueberries since I've gotten to America like crazy and I  can't get enough of them this was what I decided to make first. It is sort of a cross between  a quick bread, a pound cake and a loaf, so I was confused about what to call it, but man, is it darn good. To me the flavor of lemons and blueberries together is a thing of beauty, well really the flavor of lemons with anything is a thing of beauty and so this loaf cake bread thing was the first thing I had to make.

Now, let me digress. I have a major obsession with lemons that I haven't yet expounded on and I really think it is time. When I bought my house, one of the main things I wanted was a garden so I could plant a lemon tree. I had visions of coming out to the lemon tree every day just to smell how fragrant they were and picking truckloads of lemons to literally put in every corner of my house. I was going to make fresh lemonade every day and use lemons in everything and I would be gloriously happy for the rest of my life. 
Well, the first problem arose when our house came with a garden the size of doormat so that put a little damper on things. But I was not to be deterred from my beautiful vision. Once we moved in a friend of mine's husband who has a nice green thumb brought us a lemon tree and delicately planted it in our itsy bitsy garden. I was super excited and couldn't wait for my little lemons to come in. I checked on it every day, watered it often and patiently waited for my lemons to make their appearance. And then reality came crashing down as the Neve Daniel winds beat and battered my little lemon tree to a pulp as I sadly watched from the window. Within a month I was left with twigs on the floor and no trace of a lemon. Sadness for me. 


Am I being over dramatic? Maybe a little. But you get the point. I love me my lemons. And after that maudlin story, hope you enjoy your loaf!


1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup plain yogurt
zest of 3 lemons or 3 tsp lemon zest ( I like things SUPER lemony, but if you like mild lemon flavor use only the zest of 2 lemons)
11/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup canola oil

1 pint blueberries
1 Tbl flour

Pre-heat the oven to 350 and grease a loaf pan well. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside. Mix the sugar, eggs, yogurt, lemon, oil and vanilla. Toss the blueberries with the flour to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake and gently fold them in. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes and then remove from pan.

For the Glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar
3 Tbl lemon juice

Whisk the sugar and the juice together to get a glaze consistency and pour over the loaf when cooled.

                             Sorry for the lighting but at least you have some rustic bungalow background.


Comments

  1. anything can be substituted for the yogurt to make it not dairy?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts