amazon

Mediterranean Wheatberry Salad

You know I love me my wheat berries! I keep a stock of them in my pantry and love to use them in all forms (they make a great alternative to barley in chulent) but I especially love them in salads because even after they are dressed they do not get soggy. They can stay in the fridge for a few days, absorbing more flavor each day and the great nutty and chewy texture will not change. This is a wheat berry salad that I made in the summer and for some reason just found that I never posted but I definitely remember how it tasted- lemony and garlicky and delicious. Of course you can add or subtract whatever vegetables you want and make it your own but this was a great combination. Most important is to dress the salad while the berries are still warm which allows them to really absorb a lot of the dressing. Enjoy!


4 cups wheat berries or farro, boiled and drained
2 roasted red peppers, diced
1 roasted yellow pepper, diced
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 bunches of scallions, sliced
2 cups orange or red cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup artichoke hearts, drained and diced

While the berries are warm dress them with the dressing below and toss well. Add the rest of the vegetables and let the salad come to room temperature before serving.

For the dressing:
zest of 2 lemons
juice of 3 lemons
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Whisk all the ingredients together and season to taste with salt and pepper.



Comments

  1. “Congratulations The Gush Gourmet! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this exciting information.”

    read more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this salad looks very yummy and you have made it easy for me to made it. Thanks for this useful and healthy information. God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts