amazon

Swiss Chard and Feta Latkes

Move over potato, there is a new latke in town- a leaner, meaner and greener latke that will knock your socks off! Don't get me wrong, I won't turn down a good potato latke with heaps of sour cream on it (no apple sauce for me, the combination is abhorrent to me) but every Chanukah I like to experiment with new ones- some funkier than the others (those don't necessarily make it to the blog) and this is one of my new ones. Of course, besides being a latke, it is also "Greek" themed because of the Feta and because the combination of greens (usually spinach) and feta is a classic Greek combination (as in Spanakopita). I used chard because I love it and because I couldn't find good looking spinach but feel free to use an equal amount of spinach instead. So the green of the chard gives great color, taste and health factor and unlike a regular latke these only need to be pan fried in a some oil and not "deep fried" hence they are a great lighter alternative to the classic latke and honestly, in my opinion every now and then you need a little latke change of pace to jazz up Chanukah. If you are looking for other "different" latka recipes you can also check out these from years past- Cheese Latkes (always a huge hit), Cinnamon Scented Sweet Potato Latkes or a variation on the original Potato Leek Latkes. Enjoy!

1 lb Swiss chard, stems removed
1 Tbl olive oil
1 tsp garlic minced
2 medium potatoes, grated
2 eggs
1/4 cup matzah meal or flour
1 1/2 cups Feta or Bulgarit crumbled
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup oil for frying

Heat 1 Tbl oil in a pan and add the garlic. Saute for one minute and then add the chard and season the chard with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until the chard is wilted. Let the chard cool slightly and then chop. In a bowl mix the potatoes, chopped chard, eggs, matzah meal and cheese.Season with salt (not too much because the Feta is salty and pepper. Heat the 1/4 cup oil in the same pan. When the oil is hot form patties of the mixture and fry for about 2- 21/2 minutes per side until they are golden brown.








Comments

  1. These sound delicious! I am a big believer in variety. Traditional potato latkes are a given at our house during Chanukah but there are 7 more nights for latke experimentation, as far as I am concerned. There is no way I am going to wait a whole year to give these a try :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. About how many bags of swiss chard would equal a lb?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts