amazon

Orange and Chocolate Chunk Pound Cake




Chocolate and Orange were never one of those combinations that I liked growing up. I mean, ever have chocolate after you drink orange juice? Blech! I could never understand the concept of chocolate covered orange peels and more than once I was seduced by a shiny piece of chocolate on a platter only to bite into it and cringe because instead of the caramel I assumed would be there was a big hunk of tart orange peel. Fast forward many, many years later and perhaps my palate is more "refined" or I am open to new tastes and flavor combinations or maybe I just realized that anything with chocolate is worth eating- but either way the melding of chocolate and orange together is definitely a thing of beauty (but still don't drink orange juice after chocolate or visa versa- that will never get better.) 
Recently, I have been on a pound cake kick, where I try to come up with different flavor pound cakes to make on Friday to have a delicious dairy cake with my coffee Shabbat morning. Pound cakes are usually simple to throw together hence those are my go to Shabbat cakes as opposed to something more elaborate like cheese babka which is worth every minute but that I often don't have time to make. I have to say this pound cake was one of the best- the orange flavor comes from lots and lots of orange zest and lots of dark chocolate chunks can only make a cake better and the cake itself was perfectly moist with a perfect crust and a perfect crumb. In other words, put it on your agenda ASAP because it's worth every buttery calorie. Enjoy!

2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 Tbl orange zest
225 grams of cream cheese ( 1 8 oz pkg)
150 grams butter ( 1 1/2 sticks)
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chunks or chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.  In a mixer beat the butter, cream cheese till smooth. Add the sugar and zest and mix well. Beat in one egg at a time and then add vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix till just mixed through. Fold in the chocolate pieces. Pour into loaf pan and bake until tooth pick comes out with just moist crumbs- about 45 minutes.





Comments

  1. Yummy! this looks like a unique and different combination of orange and chocolate. i am really thankful to you for sharing this delicious and unique recipe. I will share my experience after making it in my own kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts