amazon

Coconut Lime Bars

If you have been reading this blog for the last month than you should be able to tell that I am obsessed with limes. I think every single recipe I have made so far this summer in some way incorporates them. Lime season in Israel is for a short time in the summer and last year I got back just in time to enjoy them for a couple of weeks and then too I went overboard with lime recipes. Only after lime season was over did I learn that freezing limes is a great way to have them all year long. Bummer. This year, I hope I make it back in time to stock up and freeze so I can stop feeling so much pressure to use 5 limes a day to take advantage of them. I put them in my water, I put them in my soda, salad dressing, marinades, grain salads, and of course desserts. Which brings me around to these delicious bars.  Buttery shortbread crust. Sweet and tart lime filling. Dayummmm they are good! They are a basic play on a lemon bar but the subtle flavor of the lime is heavenly here and paired up with the coconut these bars become a tropical wonderland for your mouth. They are rich though so a little goes a long way but my, oh, my are they worth every little crumb. Enjoy!


For the crust:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted

Preheat the oven to 350. In a bowl mix the flour, sugar, salt and coconut. Cut the butter in with your fingers or a pastry cutter until you have course crumbs. Butter or spray a 9x13 inch pan. Press the crust into the pan and bake for about 20 minutes until lightly golden.

For the filling:
6 eggs
1/2 cup lime juice (about 4 limes)
zest of 3 limes
1/3 cup flour
1 3/4- 2 cups sugar (depending on how sweet or tart you want it)
3/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1 drop green food coloring, optional
Confectioner's sugar for serving

Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl. Pour over the crust and bake for 30-35 minutes until the filling is set.






Comments

Popular Posts