amazon

Tuna Croquettes with Horseradish Cream Sauce

Tuna croquettes are a staple in my house and I make them at least twice a month. I love how they require ingredients I always have lying around, tuna, egg, onion, parsley and how they add great protein to dairy meals that I make. Technically speaking these aren't "real" croquettes because they aren't breaded and fried but croquette just sounds infinitely better then a patty. The secret to these is the sour cream which I think gives them great moisture and a little tang but if you want to make them pareve you can omit it.
 Now, the sauce is what takes these over the top.
 Horseradish.
 Love it.
Not the red stuff you put on gefilte fish (yum) but the white stuff which they sell bottled in America. In Israel, I wait till Passover when you can get it fresh and then grate it, add a little vinegar and keep it in a jar in my fridge. It's goooood stuff, trust me. This sauce can be made pareve as well by substituting mayonnaise for the sour cream and served slathered on a roast beef sandwich (oh, man I just made myself drool.)If you don't have fresh grated horseradish lying around you can also substitute wasabi powder. Occasionally, I make these pareve and plate them over beautiful baby lettuce and drizzled with the sauce and serve it for an appetizer Shabbat lunch.  Happy Eating!




Makes about 25 croquettes
For the croquettes:
 6 cans of tuna in water, 5 oz each
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
3 Tbl oil
1/4 cup sour cream
5 eggs
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
oil for frying

Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil  until translucent and season with salt and pepper.  In the meantime, drain the tuna, place it in a bowl and flake it well. Add the eggs, sour cream, parsley, onion mixture and bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper. Form into walnut size balls and flatten. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry until golden on each side.

For the sauce:
1 cup sour cream or mayonnaise
3 Tbl white horseradish
2 Tbl capers (if large, chop them)
zest and juice of half a lemon
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Whisk all the ingredients together and serve over the croquettes.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts